Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Feast of Saint Nicholas of Myra

With all the hubbub about a jolly old elf in a bright red suit and flying reindeer, it's pretty easy to be distracted from the actual, historical person who was Bishop Nicholas of Myra. I think he's a lot more interesting than our caricatured distributor of elf-made gifts. I'm also going to spare the details here and let you do the footwork on your own. Enough has been written about Nicholas that I don't need to add my humble voice to the mix.

I simply want to make a suggestion. To remember Nicholas, let's take the day to give of ourselves, not by investing our time at the mall, but by quietly, anonymously sharing what we have with someone who doesn't have as much.

In fact, I'm going to spend my time not on this blog post, but on leaving the office and going to see whom I can find. There's plenty of need all around us. We just have to go out and see the world as Christ does.

No comments:

Post a Comment