Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pancake Day

I'm not a big fan of pancakes.

I've never celebrated Mardi Gras.

I've never managed to get particularly Fat on this Tuesday.

I've probably always been too busy or distracted by the everyday stuff going on around me to really commemorate the last day before Lent.

That is a fault of mine. A day early, I want to offer a confession: I let myself get distracted by everyday stuff and I often miss the special-ness of the times that we set aside.

The fact that President's Day was observed yesterday, which brought my wife home from school, combined with the fact that three inches of snow accumulation gave our kindergartener the day off, meant that I invested yesterday in my family rather than preparing for today and for Lent. It means that I'm spending today doing what I would have gotten done yesterday.

That keeps a body busy.

I need to learn to prepare for feasts and fasts. I need to better manage my time. I need to stop procrastinating. I need to focus so that my busy-ness does not prevent me from taking time to observe the time that should bring me closer to the Holy One.

And when life gets this busy, I need to trust that God will take care of all the mess if I do, in fact, invest the time in the rhythm of the year.

The morning is past, but I have the rest of the day to make the best of. My prayer for you is that you make the time, today, to feast before the fast; and that you take the time every day to observe the time that God is giving you, to listen to the whisper of the Holy Spirit, so that God can care for you.

Peace and pancakes, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment