Friday, November 18, 2011

Laundry on the Sabbath

In a household of three children and two adults, every day probably should be laundry day. That doesn't happen, of course, and I tend to feel pretty guilty about not getting it done. But today I claim as Sabbath, a break from church work, per se. And even though I look out the front window of the house and see our downtown church across the street, I covenant to myself to stay out of the building and do something different, to step away from that particular kind of business.

Sabbath is about rest, yes. But that doesn't have to mean sitting around and watching reruns of Doctor Who. Part of refreshing the spirit is getting myself into a place in which I can be more comfortable living each day, and not having baskets full of dirty laundry, or baskets full of clean laundry that hasn't gotten folded and put away for weeks, is part of getting myself into that place.

So I claim this Sabbath as laundry day, and I celebrate that God gives me mundane things to do that bring me closer to peace in Christ.

What do you do to Sabbath?

No comments:

Post a Comment